Thursday, September 11, 2008

Potty Training

Okay I want to know everybody's experience with potty training! We're having huge issues over here..for example when your child was potty training could they pull their pull up/ underwear and pants up and down by themselves? I'm currently learning that Brandon cannot do that-and I'm thinking maybe that's why he's not that interested because he can't just go by himself.

I know we're having issues because he doesn't even know the feeling-so it's annoying-we have to set a timer (he sets it) and we're dragging him in there to go and I hate it and he hates it and I read that it's not good to force him..but come on he's 3.5 lets get with it!

I'm interested in personal experiences and knowledge that hopefully will help us make it over this hump in our lives right now.

I've heard of a couple movies that people swear by-did any of you guys use a movie for inspiration. I've heard some movie with Elmo and Potty Power.
Thanks!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I never used any movies, so I don't know how those work. Jake could pull up his underwear and pants when I trained him, but I don't think they have to know that to potty train. I would just have him start doing it though...it couldn't hurt. When I started I would take Jake to the bathroom every 1 1/2 hrs and have him try. Sometimes he didn't have to go, but I just wanted him to get in the habit. If he went he got a whopper. It was harder with poop. He never wanted to do that in the potty, so I offered him gum if he would do that, which is REALLY wanted. After the first time he went poop he realized it was fine to do that in the potty. I also got the potty you can attach to the toilet because I realized it was hard for him at 2 1/2 to sit his little bum on the big toilet, he had to hold himself up which didn't help. Once the little potty was attached it made it much easier for him, it was more comfortable. That's all I know! Hope any of it helps!

Kerry said...

Thanks Jess-I took a day break-so now I'm ready to tackle it again..90 minutes sounds way better than my 40 minutes I was doing-I'll see how it works for me-thanks again!

The Peterson Family said...

Kerr,
I don't really have anything new to say - I think I'm shared most of my potty experiences with you, but let me know if you want a refresher course. One thing to keep in mind - all my kids needed to be completely naked to go potty in the toliet. I don't know if it's just my kids, but even now Danielle won't poop without having all her clothes off. And she still can't get her underwear and pants up on her own all the time - it's hard for thier little arms and sometimes it gets twisted up. I would concentrate more on him getting them down - that's the important part! Also, I posted on my blog that you were looking for suggestions, idea, and stories, so maybe you can get a few more people brainstorming for you.

Happy traing,
Lis