Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Beef Stew

The original plan was to make a pot roast or stew-and with left over meat make shredded beef enchiladas. It didn't work out so well-this stew was really really good and really easy that we gobbled almost all of it up! I'm still sad about me enchiladas-but I'll get over it.

So this is a crock pot recipe and let me say I'll NEVER make beef stew on the stove again-this tasted great! I had some red potatoes a neighbor gave us out of their garden-I didn't even peel them and it was great.

2 pounds stew meat cut in 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf-I didn't have-I added 1 T. white vinegar instead
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, chopped (I just put some dried minced onion in)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3 potatoes, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped

Place meat in slow cooker. In small bowl mix together flour, salt and pepper; pour over meat and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir together the broth, garlic, bay leaf or vinegar, paprika Worcestershire sauce, and onion. Pour over meat-add the veggies.

Cover and cook on low-10-12 hours or high-4-6 hours.
I had to thicken with corn starch-but it was yummy!

I hope you guys can enjoy it too. I liked that you didnt' have to baby the meat and seer it first and all that-just drop it in and enjoy later!

2 comments:

Karen Lambarth said...

Kerry, sounds terrific!
I have time I still want easy stuff!
Sorry I haven't been commenting much.
I am w/Lisa and it is non-stop!
I return home on Sunday.

Jessica said...

Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing. I love having stew/soup in the fall, so I will have to make this soon.